View Single Post
      05-23-2015, 03:54 PM   #1
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Exclamation Z4m Tranny issues!

Last night I was accelerating from a stop in first with about 75% throttle, I didn't launch and kinda just rolled into it. I shifted into second at about 6k and I was greeted by a loud whining sound so I clutched in and tried to grab second again and the car wouldn't do it, so i grabbed third and drove to where i could pull over. Upon reaching a stop the car would not go into first, second or reverse. The shifter would not go into that whole side of the shift pattern. I managed to limp the car home by starting in third which fortunately I was only a mile a way from.

I Let the car sit over night and started it this morning. It goes into first, second and reverse, and rolls fine in the gears. First and second don't have the "notch" or "click" that they used to anymore though, and when shifting from first to second it feels like one long frictioned shift instead of a normal shift (if that makes sense). The rest of the gears feel perfect.

The car is drivable but I am going to avoid driving it this weekend until I can bring it into work on tuesday (I work at a BMW dealership). I just wanted to see if anyone has had symptoms like this before so I can brainstorm as to what it could be. I have never messed with tranny stuff before, so I don't have much of a clue as to what it could be. Would a bent shift linkage cause this?

Thanks in advanced guys!
Appreciate 0