Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Dave, have you replaced your MAF recently? I believe we discussed it a while back, but I can't remember. You could try unplugging it to see if the problem persists.

The problem could also be an O2 sensor that's on its way out. Based on a misfire in cylinder 5, I'd look at bank 2. The O2 sensors (including the one hooked to your AFR gauge) won't give accurate readings until fully warmed up, which takes 30 seconds or more. I'd ignore them on cold start and let the car run for a few minutes first.

Is the secondary air pump plugged in as it should be? Mine has come unplugged before.

If it's a boost leak, the symptoms would get worse at higher rpm (more boost) but shouldn't be present at idle unless the leak is severe (like a main pipe detached). A smoke test would tell you for sure. The smoke test pressurizes the intake piping to a small degree, and you should see it leaking out anywhere there's a hole/loose pipe. Unplugging the MAF should isolate the problem to either a bad MAF or a boost leak if your idle stabilizes. The car may stall at mid/high rpm if you have a severe boost leak and the MAF is unplugged.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0