View Single Post
      12-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

Update: eleven days at dealer [Center BMW, sherman Oaks].

First seven days: dealer "couldn't hear the noise". Apparently they misunderstood the description of " a lound tapping noise from the top front of the motor" to mean a *high-pitched* tapping noise, which they indeed did not find as there was none. They gave the car back [!] and literally as I started it to leave, the familiar tak-tak-tak noise was cranking away. I didn't even move the car from the service lane. Instead I got my SA and the shop foreman to "inspect" the noise with me and they promptly agreeed that the medium-to-low pitched "tak-tak-tak" noise was not normal. Apparently they were content to send me on my way with the engine misbehaving because they couldn't find a 'high-pitched' tapping noise.

At my vigourously worded request, we re-opened the case on day 8 and actually began working on the problem. VANOS was inspected and appeared fine. I specifically requested that they inspect/torque the bolts on the intake & exhuast cam gears [sprockets].

Shortly thereafter, I got an emaiil saying " Found intake vanos bolts loose, should be done tomorrow and your request on the bolts will be done...DB"

It turns out that "both the intake and exhaust cam bolts were loose" and "some" were "broken". The shop foreman and mechanic were both in complete agreement that catastrophic failure was not far off and the service was absolutely required.

It took another 2.5 days to get the replacement bolts ordered and installed. [ why not stock them?? they are small & cheap!]

Car is running great once again, distaster averted. I can only guess what would have happened had I brought it home after the dealer's initial failure to diagnose/repair the problem-- highly likely that I would have been in line for a new S54B2 at their expense.

Incidentally, the dealer informed me that the national BMW service authorization desk in New Jersey knows about this problem but no TSB or SIB will be written. I suppose that would create too much expense, liability and culpability for BMW North America.

Anyway - next time you have the valves checked, check your cam bolts!! both sides!! and use threadlocker on them if you re-torque/replace any.

Good luck.

RC
Appreciate 0