View Single Post
      04-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

Autocross and wide wheels/tires - do you tape?

I swear I posted this last night but I may have closed out. If I did post and a mod deleted it for breaking a rule, please let me know and I will not post it again.

This year will be my first season of autocross with my wider/stickier tires and wider wheels with lower offset. 245/40/18x9+42 and 275/35/18x10+25. Not incredibly aggressive, but much wider than the stock setup.

Because of how much further out they poke coupled with the fact that one of the parking lots that we use is in pretty poor condition (lots of loose asphalt pieces and dirt/gravel), I'm worried that the tires will fling up a lot of debris, damaging the paint considerably.

Do you guys tape the sides of your car for events. Since it's autocross I'm not concerned about the headlights/bumper, but it makes sense to tape up the sideskirts, front fenders below the roundel, and maybe the back corner of the rear bumper... Thoughts?

I don't want to look like an idiot with my tape and I don't want to waste time/effort if it won't make a difference, but I don't want to have rock chips all over the side of my car either.

Some pics for reference:

Appreciate 0