View Single Post
      01-04-2010, 04:40 PM   #20
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Lol, the non dartyness of the 330 isn't related to its balance, its that it's a normal M car that's not stiff wish soft bushings galore (and in place of ball joints).

Don't confuse mushiness with balance. M coupe goes where you're steering it which is what makes it "darty" the 330 would just go where it's going unless you really cranked on the wheel.
Oy. You tough one to please, man!

As mentioned, my 330Ci was far from mushy. It had poly, solid and reinforced bushings at nearly all points. TCK kit. Sways. Bars. The works. The car was undoubtedly more stiff than any stock E46 M3 though not as stiff as the Z4's chasis. I describe it as "sublimely balanced" and "not darty" because it went where I wanted it to go without drama and didn't have enough power to make trouble. So, because it was not a soft 330Ci by any measure, I chalk it not being darty to being well balanced and (ahem) underpowered.

Moving on, I think its obvious that you and I define darty a bit differently. I define it as the car's willingness to quickly transition in a direction of my choosing. Yes. It is very predictable at the limit. Shockingly so. Duh. And, in fact, I've actually found it to be very enjoyable on the track. But my original point was that I didn't want to go to zero toe or toe-out to increase any willingness the car may have to be darty. A car that rotates quickly and is darty (a la toe-out) sounds like a handful to me.