02-06-2014, 03:08 PM   #20
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Yes sir, 255 all around
So I find SOME credibility in the suggestion for more camber in the rear based on this fact.

I remember back in 2006 when I first got my car, I asked a friend and a very accomplished club racer to drive the car for a few laps at Willow Springs. He came away impressed, but when I asked him if he thinks I should square up the tires, he said "absolutely not."

I was somewhat surprised by his answer, but he said that with comparatively a short chassis like this, he would prefer a staggered set-up to make the rear end more manageable while sacrificing some level of grip up front to make the chassis more predictable in corner exit, and that's where ultimately I will find my speed.

And while I spent the next 8 years hunting for more grip up front, what he told me sort of jives with that your shop said. That on a relatively short chassis like this, neutral handling may not be all that ideal because the force required to overcome the pendulum that swings on that fulcrum that's the front tire isn't nearly as big as say, an E36 M3, the king of "more camber up front."

So, I'm not entirely sold on having more negative camber in the rear, but back then I wasn't entirely sold on sticking with the staggered tire setup, and it's actually worked out quite well for my chassis and driving style. My only suggestion is, you went to a pro-shop for a reason. Trust their recommendations. Go drive a few hard sessions in current setting, take some measurements, and if you find yourself pushing into the corners way more than you'd like, bring those feedback to the shop and see what they say. A good shop would take your input to heart and find a better baseline for you.

And who knows, you may like the additional grip in the rear.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1