View Single Post
      01-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

Unhappy APEX Stud Conversion Kit - Observations and thoughts.

I installed the stud kit this weekend since the weather was a little warmer. Outside of the wheels being stuck to the rotors, it went very easy. Very simple installation. Took about 10 minutes per wheel. Used Locktite Red and torqued each stud to 30 lbs.

Thoughts/Observations/Warnings
Overall they look good. I guess. It would be nicer to have ones that actually are the length of a normal stud, but it is what it is. You know going into it they are a little longer. I mention that for a practical reason that will show up later in this.

One thing I will note is the black scratches VERY easy. Don't breath on them. The black WILL scratch off. The ends are pretty rough just from installation and I was very easy on them.

And now for the warning. When installing them I noticed one of my tires had a screw in it. Was a clean, straight in puncture in the middle of the tire tread. So, to save a little time, I just left it since it wasn't losing air. Called in an appointment at Discount Tire and brought it in. After the confusion over the studs wore off they realized they didn't have any torque sockets that would fit. I, however, being a Boy Scout, had a deep socket in the trunk. Unfortunately it wasn't for an impact wrench so they couldn't use it. Apparently with the impact wrench adapter it wouldn't take the torque needed for factory torque specs. So, I had to leave… with a puncture in the tire. Which is kind of due to legal BS, but whatever. The fact is it created an issue for them which in effect made me have to leave without the issue resolved.

So, having done the conversion, would I do it again based on the above… unfortunately no. For $125 ($100 with the Black Friday sale) it's supposed to make things easier and add to the looks of the vehicle. It kind of failed on both. After putting them on and seeing in person, it looks a bit silly, scratches easy and caused a situation with the practical use of the car and for that reason, I would not recommend them.

For anyone considering this modification (I won't call it an upgrade) hope it helps.
Appreciate 0