Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seank
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
How would it make a difference if the cooling system is maxed out? If it does what I think it does, which is open up at a lower temperature, then there won't be any benefit. The car is already well above the temperature at which it normally opens anyway.

I have heard of some cars running 100% water at the track, but I would have to look into it before recommending it to anyone.
That is a good question. On my track car, I run a 30 degree lower thermostat. That being said, it does take longer to warm up (twice as long). The car runs 20 degrees lower on a 100 degree day. I THINK the difference is that it opens more, to allow more water to flow earlier. Earlier, allows more time before getting hot. The BMW radiators are more than sufficient at cooling, although some do not like that they use plastic.

Using 100 octane will also help keep the temperatures down.

It works so well, that I can let the car idle without a fan for at least 10 minutes on a hot day. I also know that they install them on all the race cars for Bimmerworld and Turner. I would personally call them to talk about it.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3-...-degree-c.aspx

All cars run water with Water Wetter on the track at the upper levels. No one uses coolant. I am personally scared to drive around anyone who has coolant in their cars on the race track. Coolant and tires don't mix at any speed, let alone high speeds. In HPDE coolant is expected, since they are beginner drivers.
Good info! Thanks. I'm not sure I fully understand about the thermostat, because the car should be at full operating temp with the thermostat fully open prior to flogging it. The rest of it makes sense.

My understanding is that water actually makes the best heat exchanger. Coolant is mixed in so water doesn't freeze in the radiator.

Anyway, hope this wasn't too far OT.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0