Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriuSen View Post
Turn 9 - Sacrifice mid corner so you can exit fast....cruise and slow down mid corner so you can get on gas before apex...try to slow down enough to be able to really hit the beginning of the left berm...from there gradually get back on gas.
There's a trick to turn 9 I picked up in iRacing and in real life. There's a dark, repaved patch at the entry to the turn, If you aim your passenger side front tire for that patch after you clear the corkscrew, you can continue to apply throttle all the way to the patch, then brush the brakes so you set the front suspension, but not necessarily slow down, and you can squeeze right back on the throttle without having to sacrifice entry speed.

The key is to be able to set up the front suspension to turn in hard into the apex, otherwise you run out of exit this way because you're not scrubbing off too much speed. That momentary brush of the brake doesn't slow you down much, but gives you the ability to crank the car way into the turn since that part of the track lacks camber.

Look for that dark patch the next time you go. It's pretty obvious. Night and day difference for turn 9.

I don't know if this helps or not, the "patch" is hard to see. It's right past the bridge, I circled it on my screen grab. You can see just ahead of the patch that there's two distinct "lines" resulting from all the racers and race cars driving over the same spot, more rubber is laid down here on this particular part of the track, so it's got more grip. If you hit the patch, brush the brakes to set front suspension, it's natural to laid down more rubber here. Those marks came from cars under braking, just as the entry to bus-stop has some heavily marked tire marks from everyone brushing the brakes at the same spot (you know what I'm talking about) even though bus-stop at Buttonwillow is not a heavy braking zone.

You can see another arrow pointing to another patch mark on the ground, that spot indicates when you'll have to be back on throttle, because if you're not, you'll end up getting a little squirrel-y. Plus if you're not back on throttle there, it defeats the purpose of using this particular "line" through turn 9. You'll end up cruising all the way past Apex.
That's actually a really great tip because I was analyzing my data with other friends and I was slow turn 9 but I didn't know why. It's such a hard corner to nail. Before I would try to apply more throttle earlier and the track would just push me off. Thanks for the tip. I will try to practice that next event.