View Single Post
      04-10-2019, 10:21 PM   #3
wss4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 M Coupe

I had a combination of issues. My stock differential was worn out by the 70-80k mile mark. The factory differential bushings were dead well before that point, and I believe the stiffer AKG bushings solved the clunking under hard acceleration, but then made the other wear in the differential much more audible. The lash, clunking, and whining was for the most part eliminated after I put in a new differential. I was even having difficulty shifting/engaging gears, and this was significantly improved after the new differential (much to my surprise).

The rumbling, I suspect, was due to a failing axle CV joint. I had the rear wheel bearings replaced at ~60k miles by a well known shop. I discovered much later that the technician had hammered the axle back into the hub (deep hammer marks on the CV joint flange). I experienced clicking from rear driver side wheel on and off for almost 30k miles. It would click under certain drivetrain and suspension loads for a few days, then go away altogether for 10k miles. Finally the clicking returned and did not go away until I replaced the axles.
Appreciate 0