View Single Post
      05-25-2017, 09:11 PM   #110
TeufelZ
Rep
Drives: 2004 z4 3.0i

Hey guys,

Not sure if anyone still reads this after 6 years but I bought a 2004 z4 3.0i. I had a 2013 FRS along with my z4 but I recently got the FRS totaled. I've had my thoughts about selling the z4 to buy another FRS because those cars are just as good. Now before anyone thrashes what I have to say, I get that BMW cars are the "ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE," but the FRS is just that good when its driven.

After driving my z4 because im basically forced to everyday now, I am starting to love it more and more but i'm still not sure if its a car worth keeping for a long period of time. For a college student, maintenance gets pretty rough especially playing for gas. Not that it's a problem but I do like to save some extra cash for my pocket to go out and eat. Nonetheless, I wish to keep the z4 and have the FRS back in my garage and hopefully i'll have enough to buy another someday.

My 2004 3.0i z4 has red interior with that gray mixed in as well. Wished that it was red and black but I believe its what they had at the time for the sterling silver exterior. I bought this car second hand with 115k now sitting after 2 years at 136k...wwooooowww. Had run into a few problems such as blowing white smoke, oil leaks, my auto dimming mirrors both left and right side leaking fluids, driver side headlight turning yellow and oem hid failing also my SMG pump failed(yes, my z4 isn't an auto nor a manual) and I had changed all engine, diff and trans fluids and changed the belts and pulleys. After all the changes, my car runs smoother and faster than before but I still don't know if the price that I put into fixing it is worth it. Worth it or not, I do plan on keeping it for a while at least after dumping so much money into it. So bare with me because I do like slammed cars.

I built this car to be slammed so what I spent is an average or just estimating what I spent so far...

spark plugs $70
Motul engine oil$60
Motul trans fluid $40
Motul diff fluid $30
6 coilpacks $120
engine pulleys + belts + smg pump + service $2300
driverside headlight $970
aftermarket hid bulbs (bright af) $30
bc racing coilovers extreme lows $500
custom straight pipe to blast pipe exhaust $450
front and rear reinforcement plates $60
federal rsrr tires 225 f 265 r $550
custom personal steering wheel $300
works bell hub and quick release $700
no thread to thread shift knob adapter $11
shift knob extension 4 inch $11
buddyclub spec a shift knob $50
forgot the name but its a 3 point strut bar on top the engine $180

I bought my car for $7,000 and total repairs and mods I have done is $6432 but not including all the oil changes I have done every 5k miles.

So in conclusion, I have mixed feelings about the z4. I am still very indecisive about selling or keeping it. I'm no sure if I even see this car as a collectible or my specific model year and options it has. I however have not seen many SMG roadsters around but I suppose it is a cult no? Seems like it to me. Either you hate these cars or love it. I'm stuck debating if this is the right car for me or not.
Appreciate 0