View Single Post
      03-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
EenyBear
Accidentally in BMW
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC & R1200S

Assuming driving is not an option, hiring a covered transport company is the next best (and possibly best) option. Insurance etc. is included and the cost will be balanced by peace of mind. No fuss, no muss, no personal responsibility if something goes wrong. Even an uncovered transport will work OK but have the shipper (or smellyborrelli) wrap the front and rear and doors... just like the new cars. Just ask that it be put on the top level. Don't worry about rain as the car is waterproof.

Regarding shipping cost, the price from "major city" to "major city" is generally much cheaper than door to door. Again, not sure where you are, but having the car dropped at a dealer (or friend or forum pal's home) in a major city nearby could save several hundred$. Experience.

I realize it's still winter in some parts of the country, but the option of driving home in your new car is the most appealing to me - assuming the clear roads you mentioned. The time is the same and the cost is probably less... and the enjoyment would be definitely more. But I'm sure you have your reasons.

Word of caution... no matter who puts it on the trailer/flat deck/etc. have someone knowledgeable (like smellyborelli) standing by to shout out if the fangs get close to touching at any point in the loading process. Without a doubt, they are the most vulnerable part of the car.

CONGRATULATIONS!
Appreciate 0