View Single Post
      09-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
gas-can
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0i Roadster

Question New Tires- Conti DWS- like driving on balloons? :(

EDIT: Most of the instability was caused by the car being out of alignment, as suggested by forum members. Read post 19 for full details.

Hi ladies and gents,

After about a year of putting up with the stock run flats (they finally wore out! yay!) I finally got some Conti DWS installed the other day. At first I was amazed at how much quieter and smoother the ride was, but then I took it on the highway and noticed that at higher speeds (~80 mph is the cruising average around here), the car seemed pretty unstable. Things like lane changes result in a distinct floaty feeling, where the car seems almost wobbly and "lexus like".

Now I know that going from the stiff run flat Summer tire to an all season is obviously going to result in reduced feel and traction, but this seems excessive. I've had all seasons on hondas before that didnt feel this floaty. it seriously is like driving on a balloon

Has anyone else that had this tire noticed this? I've noticed a lot of talk about soft sidewalls but this is ridiculous...

I've upped the pressure from 32 to 40 on the fronts tonight. I'm hoping this along with some burn in will reduce this but any input is welcome!!

Regards,
gas-can

Last edited by gas-can; 10-07-2013 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0