05-04-2011, 04:12 PM   #22
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by azadian2b View Post
If you plan on doing a removable option then why don't you look into a cold/low heat bend out of sheet acrylic/lexan option instead of high heat injection molding? The piece shouldn't need that much contour if you're building it into a removable frame to lock into a substructure. Then you would only need to make molds for the substructure/frame pieces. I'm just thinking off the design of a removable roof had on a past car.

As it is, you don't want a roof with too much contour (ie. the stock roof bubbles) because you might get weird lensing effects so you might not want to use the same contoured molds you're using for the CF roof.

Just my opinion, I'm very excited for this project.
I'm unsure where you picked up the thought that this clear roof was being Injection Molded ?

Perhaps you are confusing Resin Infusion, which is how I'll be doing the CF parts....but not the Poly or Acrylic portions.

Regarding the removal of the double-bubble design que's.....I personally feel that is one of the coolest lines of the coupes.But having a smooth roof could be considered...although I wouldn't want that on my personal coupe.

Will there be unusual lensing of the optics in those zones ? Perhaps.....but doing a shapeless convex (otherwise flat) roof might be quite boring...or at the worst lose personality.

It would certainly require a much thicker/heavier layer of product as well. The Double-bubble actually adds strength to the otherwise flexy shape.

I have two of the coupes steel roofs to work with currently. If you've looked/studied the substructure's enough....one will note they are twisty and flexy even made from steel.

Either way...molds must be built to hold current given tolerances for fit.

High heat molds must be used in that the Poly/Acrylic has to reach a specific temperature in order to take complete form accurately along with a vacuum environment due to the convex bowl-like shape and double-bubble accents.

I'll have one series of molds for the Clear roofs.....and a full other series for the CF components.

Yet another set for the interior headliners.
Appreciate 0