View Single Post
      07-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
jneumann
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 323i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Arrow

I realize I'm bumping an ancient thread, but I shared this frustration recently and have a couple tips -

Jacking up from the oil pan didn't work for me with only the driver's side mount unbolted, just lifted the whole car. I ended up using a couple smaller pry bars to lift the engine at the driver's side mount. I also had to take the nut (16mm I think?) all the way off so I could raise the mount slightly above the bolt. (raising the driver's side of the engine about an inch total)
While doing this, have a friend wiggle the pump out, towards the passenger side. It's very tight but possible. I had considered cutting the fan mount off the new pump to make replacing it easier but didn't want to damage the bearing from heat/vibration using a die grinder.

Overall this added an hour or two to the cooling system overhaul on my Z4 between finding this awful design flaw and getting the new pump in. If you know what you're doing the actual replacement should take <15 minutes with the right tools and an extra person.
Appreciate 0