View Single Post
      09-30-2014, 07:54 AM   #1
TomHickory
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

need driving Z4 counsel for track day

Track Day Folks - Need some HPDE Driving counsel for first time to use my (new to me for last 6 months) 2007 Z4 3.0si auto with paddles, on the track.

Off this weekend to the new Corvette Museum Track in Bowling Green, KY for the KY BMW HPDE. Very big track, 1st club DE (KY BMW Club) on the track that just opened on Labor Day Lots of turns and long straights. And no car swallowing sink holes on the track – yet???

Previous prelim suggestions have gotten the car track ready (wheels, tires, fluids, brakes, etc.) So now I need some counsel on driving this car on the track to get the driver ready. Previous track car was a full track prepped 350Z and have lots of track days over the last 12 years and have been a PCA instructor for 5 years. I have chosen not to instruct this first time in the Z4. With a new car on a new very big new track, thought I would take a weekend just for me to get the hang of all the new characteristics of the Z4 and this new track .

So here are some of my Q’s

(I know to watch the temps on water due to cooling issues of the paddles)

Do I use all 6 gears or just 5?
Will it have a gear change mind of its own?
Use 1 hand for up and one for down, or 1 hand for both ?
What about the DTC - on or off?
Keep the Sport mode on or off for throttle response ? I have a pretty sensitive throttle foot.
Left foot brake or right foot brake?
Any suspension items to watch for in the Z4? (stock suspension- with strut cross bar)
Any grip things to look for? (18in wheels/tires Hankook RS-3’s 235f 265r)
Other things to look for?
Or to Do?

Thanks in advance for the counsel
Appreciate 0