View Single Post
      12-19-2011, 06:20 AM   #110
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski View Post
I'm all for it. And actually, I think what you did here is worthy of a featured article! You did a really nice job with the math channels and graph to get that info into one map. I'm sure a lot of people have not come up with that in RS2.

I'm all for sharing math channels as well. I'll shoot you an email about that in a little bit.
Thanks, Matt.

It occurred to me in the middle of the night that the formula behind that math channel, which is simply "throttle position - brake pressure" will produce weird results during heel-toe downshifts when both pedals are being applied--it will whack up the slope of indicated braking when the throttle is blipped.

We don't see the problem in Randy's data, as it appears he wasn't heel-toeing that weekend (first time out with the M Coupe, coming from an M6 with a sequential gearbox).

The solution is using an IF-THEN-ELSE statement in the math channel to identify conditions when the throttle blip should be ignored. Essentially, it's "IF the clutch is in. THEN only use the negative of brake pressure, ELSE use throttle position - brake pressure" Note that "throttle position - brake pressure" gets used at times when only one pedal is being applied, and is a streamlined way of getting throttle above the line when it's applied, and brakes below the line--it's subtracted, so negative--when they're being applied.

In AiM RS2 syntax, and using the channels from the Z4M ECU protocol (channel names and/or availability may vary for other ECU protocols), the formula is as follows:

IF(EQ(Z4M_CLUTCH_SW,1),-Z4M_BRAKE_PR,Z4M_PPS-Z4M_BRAKE_PR)

I still need to test this with some real data including heel-toeing, but I'm highly confident that this'll work. However, if someone's using left foot braking and throttle simultaneously--say, they have one of those Kramer 935 K3 monster turbos and need to keep the boost up, then this math channel won't work well while applying both throttle and brakes.

Last edited by MFGJR; 12-19-2011 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0