04-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #14
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I am confused, I read about aftermarket companies not being able to tune the car so instead I should get a custom tune and do it myself. If they can't do it how will I? If it's not that difficult why can't they do it? I do understand the custom tune may get the most possible out of my specific car but at a slightly lower level and much lower expense and hassle why can't they do a "standard" system? How could the custom tune be "much cheaper" than a full standalone?
A custom tune would be purchased and done through an independent party (i.e. an experienced tuner). One such tuner goes by the name of Frank Smith. A custom tune can be either on the dyno (best case scenario as far as individually-catered performance for your car; which typically involves the client paying out of pocket to fly the tuner over to where the client resides, and the client also pays for the dyno/tuning session) or you could go with a remote tune (lower costs; which typically involves using datalogging hardware and software to record a bunch of vehicle parameters and other information required for tune-tweaking purposes, then the client and tuner keep sending log and tune files via email back and forth).

I myself went with a remote tune through Frank Smith, and he's helped my car tremendously. We're still going through the final phases of datalogging and minute tweaking of the part-throttle driveability, but the car has come a long way thanks to Frank.

The original supercharger tune provided with VF Engineering's kits were atrocious
My car ran like absolute crap. If I hadn't gotten the kit at a really good deal, I wouldn't have bothered putting up with their bullshit. Their customer service is horrid
Appreciate 0