11-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #306
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
Will depend on the tire Brand/Type you choose and ride height.
^This. Tires with a rounded sidewall, like the PSS, are your best bet in the 275/35. Square shouldered tires are another story. Lower the car, and that's a whole other set of variables to account for.

Another option is to go with a 9.5" wheel rear. That's what I did, went with 9.5 ET22. I can run either 265/35 rubber or 275/35 rubber in the measured (recommended) rim width. We have wheels on the two Ms running both sizes on this size rear wheel (PSS 275/35, and NT05 265/35). Both look good and perform well.

The 9.5 set-up with the ET22 looks aggressive IMO, and it gives some leeway on 275/35 tire choices, and if you plan to lower in the future, there's flexibility. The general rule is that for every 1/2" change in rim width, the tire's section width go up by about ~2/10". So, a 275/35, which has a 10.9" section width on a the 9.5" (measured) rim will have an 11.1" section width on a 10" rim. That's not good or bad, it's just that it actually increases the width of the tire just a bit, and that may be enough to rub. With a rounded sidewall, it works, but with a square sidewall, it's probably going to rub.

I went with 9" in front, because the front tires get worked laterally a lot more, especially in track and autoX, so I wanted a rim size at least a half inch wider than the measured rim width to help keep the sidewall square and well managed. Up front I have flexibility to run 235/40 or 245/40 up front with that half inch over the measured rim width I was looking for.

Take a look here, post 1, silver car, that is my exact setup in the rear (except black wheels). The black roadster is running 275/35, lowered on coils, and it works but with a lot of negative camber to avoid rubbing. The thread shows a lot of possibilities, including those with stock suspension who are running 10" with 275/35 PSS w/o issue.

It really boils down to your goals, set-up, and preferred tire.
Appreciate 0