View Single Post
      02-11-2011, 01:01 AM   #41
VMZ432
Fast Everything
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Talking

Well she's back with her sister where she belongs, and more badass than ever! A few new paint chips....... but she got off so easy.... all I can do is grin.

Turns out the first part to melt and start spewing fluid was the piston seals on the stock brakes. Anyone want a pic of that, LMK (don't have it here right now). Anyway, it doesn't really say anything about the stock system. Something had to fail with the pads and rotors at such extreme temps while the pads were breaking down. I'm kindda glad it wasn't the seals in the brake lines though, since they are stoptech.

As for why the brake sensor didn't go off until later, my fantastic tuner's best guess is that the inner pad was destructing far more quickly than the outer pad where the sensor is located.

So far the new CL endurance pads seem fine for the street. I had to put them straight on the new rotors because I don't have time to bed in before tomorrow's track day, and sintered pads don't require (and don't have) a transfer layer. They are actually far, far less noisey than the Hawk HPS (not hard to do!!) and don't feel like you're grinding rings into the rotors every time you brake. Tomorrow will be the real test, but so long as they work well on the track they just might be the perfect pad.

And yes, I will be infinitely more careful today, tomorrow, and forever!

Thanks heaps to the boys at Southern BM for getting me back on track yet again. And to Dave Z for coming through with a phenomenal BBK.
Attached Images

2006 IBlue BMW Z4 MC - ESS VT2-525 Supercharged, JRZ RS1 suspension (500#F, 600#R) with Vorshlag plates, ST Trophy BBK with CL R6E pads, KKS gated exhaust, TMS sway bars, RE rear camber arms, VT engine mounts, Recaro Pole Position (driver), APR GT wing, Street: Volk G2s and Potenza, Track: Volk TE37SLs and BFG R1s.
Appreciate 0