View Single Post
      03-10-2017, 07:54 PM   #7
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJZ4MR View Post
Fast Auto X has been doing 2 monthly events ( OPEN & CLASSIC ) for 10 years now. They use an airport runway in Brooksville. They also run at the Tampa Greyhound track monthly. I did my first autoX and it was amazing. First class operation ! As far as what class I'm put in, well, since I spent 4 minutes actual drive time on my 4 runs, to me, it doesn't really matter. 99 percent of the time, it's a weekend joyride/spirited driving. I'm going to do another AutoX next month. At some point, I'd love to go to Sebring. I'm not chasing points or really competing except with myself, so the classification part is pretty meaningless...today. Good info to know though. I will change this mod in my upcoming event. I do remember reading that changes do not really matter until the following year. So I'm " grandfathered " in, until 2018, as I understand it. Really do appreciate the shared knowledge. Let me know if you are ever coming down South my way, maybe we can meet up and shoot the shit.
Glad you had a great time! While the seat time is short, it's very adrenaline packed. I've run with FAST numerous times and Loren runs a first class organization. On the changes info, since FAST uses the SCCA classes as their baseline, their rule is that if SCCA makes a change in the rules that would move your car, then you don't have to move until the next competition season. If YOU make a change to your car there's no grandfathering, once you install it on the car, you're in the new class next event. For FAST, the bushing changes will move you from S1 to M1.
Initially, it won't be an issue as there's a quite a bit of seat time required before you get quick in autocross, so no one's likely to protest. Down the road if you get more serious, or run with SCCA then the mods will get important.
FAST is doing a Classic event on 3/26 that I'm looking at signing up for. You don't have enough events yet to sign up on your own, but you can sign up if you have an experienced "buddy". If I go to this event and you want to go I can be the designated "buddy". PM with your email if you're interested.
Also, check the Suncoast Florida PCA website for autocross events. They run at some of the same sites, plus a couple others that are close to you. Their events are also well run and you typically get 8-10 runs. If you're a BMWCCA member they give PCA member rates to you and they have a BMW class. They'll be at Showtime Speedway on April 23.
SCCA will be at Sebring Jun 10th and 11th so pencil that in on your calendar.
The ultimate autocross site in the Southeast is at Ft. Myers which is relatively close to you. Gulf Coast Autocrossers runs those events and it is a must go to site once you get a few more events under your belt. I wouldn't recommend going there until you've got enough events that you're comfortable learning a course. The Ft. Myers site is the full length of the runway section at Brooksville (from where they have the stripped down jets to where you turned around on the FAST course) and about 3x as wide.