View Single Post
      09-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #19
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
Antenna - why did you go down in size? 235/265? Daily driver? I know they fit and the look is good. I am going with the 245/275 to stay pretty close to stock fit. Are you planning on lowering your car?

Thank you all for your help!
Here is my reasoning on 235/265.

You can fit 245/275 on OEM wheels, but you're extending the limit of the wheel at that point. When you get to that size, the tire can actually shimmy back and forth on the wheel, reducing feel and increasing slip angle (which is bad if you want max grip).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadsheet View Post
Hankook RS-3s

My original set with lower than normal tread depth made it 18K miles, newer sets with normal tread depth should last 24K+, which is better than factory rubber. So sticky, harder to spin the tires than factory rubber, so they last longer. Seems counter-intuitive, but results don't lie.
Finally! A RS3 fan!!!

I run RS3s for auto-x and track. Would I use them for DD? Eh, probably not because I don't need that much performance for daily commutes.

I put around 8 autocrosses and 1 track day on these tires in 1 year. My outside shoulder is worn and will need to be flipped prior to next year. Amount of miles actually on these tires? Literally nothing...lol

The tires are mounted and dismounted prior to every event, so any actual miles are just highway miles to and from an event. If I wanted to put a quick calc, it would be around 600 miles + the additional track time and autocross.

The tires are rated to last 14k miles, so I have absolutely no clue how you made it 18K on worn tires.

And the tires spin...and squeal a lot when you push them.
Appreciate 0