View Single Post
      04-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

The Data Sheet for the Exhaust Comparison can be found below. I will create a larger spreadsheet using last year's data, plus this year's data, with adjustment factors (using the two cars that had the same systems this year and last.)

Overview: On 10/5/2013, we repeated (more or less) the process noted in the OP for last year's Exhaust 'Fest. Details on the event can be found here.

Caveats: Same as last time.

Conditions: 70 degrees F. Sea level.

Sound Measurement: Radio Shack Sound Level Meter. Calibration was made before each test (due to variation in sound pressure levels). Only audible frequencies were measured.

Parked Testing Method: For parked rev testing, we were 5 ft back and 18" above the ground, directly behind the car. (Yes, I realize now we deviated a bit from last year, but the measurements of Beta and Skelekitty's car are within a few dB.) ThedB meter was pointed at the car, while holding it horizontally to the level of the pavement. Cars were revved to 5K RPM 3 times.

Drive by Testing Method: For drive by testing we were about 25 (+- 5 feet)feet away from the car as it went by. The meter was pointed at the car as cars drove by.

Special Thanks: GFeril for helping to organize this event and taking dB measurements and video inside the car, Cyberkaa for external camera duty, and bjbstewart for external dB measurements, and to all the Zpost members who participated and helped out!

Update/Note: GFeril and never found time to complete the video on this due to family/work commitments, and the video was lost when my exhaust 'Fest organizing friend passed unexpectedly. We only have the data. I hope folks find it useful, I know GFeril would feel the same.

Link to spreadsheet.
Attached Images

Last edited by Finnegan; 10-14-2013 at 01:26 AM..
Appreciate 0