SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
One question for you, are the controls on the steering wheel usable with this retro fit to control the iPod?
Adding the AUX input port only allows you to plug in your iPod using a mini-plug RCA cable. There is absolutely no interface to the iPod other than that.

If you want to interface with your iPod you need to add the BMW iPod adapter. I have no part number for this as it was installed by the previous owner. With this adapter, which plugs into the head unit in place of the CD changer, you are basically fooling the head unit into thinking that your iPod is a six-disc CD changer. You have to have five playlists on your iPod whose names start with BMWn, where n is a number from one to 5, e.g., BMW1 Rock, BMW2 Jazz, etc. Choosing disc 6 plays all five playlists. You can use the steering wheel buttons to change tracks up and down. There is no way to shuffle and every time you pick a different playlist it plays it from the beginning. Also, this will only work with certain generation iPods. It works with my nano 3G, but not my 5G.

Most people go with the third-party DICE unit, although this has had mixed reviews.

Appreciate 0