View Single Post
      05-20-2014, 05:52 PM   #8
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Man these tires let me get away with murder. As in murdering what constitutes driving skills. Oh my god, I can do WHATEVER I WANT mid corner and it just shrugs and goes. It is so damn sticky it exposed a problem with my shocks up front...But we'll save that story for later.

It gives enough of a warning to make catching slides and oversteers easy too. As I was reviewing my video from Friday @ Buttonwillow in 100º+ heat, I noticed I caught a couple of oversteers but didn't remember doing that while I was driving, which suggest to me that the tires were giving enough cues as to when it's going to let go that I was able to anticipate and correct subconsciously without getting overwhelmed. The release was not as abrupt as say, the Hoosier R6es that I ran on the Subaru WRX (luckily, on the WRX it'll release the front tires first and you get that nice "hop" in the front end rather than the rear end).

But it lets me get away with murder. It's like a get out of jail free car for doing stupid things on track. Oh you turned in too early? Nah, you're just shortening the line and defending the corner. Turn in more than usual because you blew a corner trying something dumb, like trying to trail-brake all the way up to the apex at Sunset and transition immediately to throttle? Tire just goes "hey did you just graduate from D class?" and make a slight rumble and just goes. ZERO drama.

Super easy to drive and drive damn fast. Almost too easy. I did notice that in 100º+ heat, probably not the smartest idea to start at 30psi cold in the morning, as it heats up quick and gets to ~39psi hot easily, which is probably way above it's ideal operating hot pressure.

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-450-107-victra-rc-1
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0