View Single Post
      04-22-2014, 04:01 PM   #47
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdos View Post
If you think that rake angle has no effect on performance try telling that to Adrian Newey, the designer of Red Bull FI cars.
See? That argument = clueless.

Our street cars have very little in common with F1 cars in terms of aerodynamics. In fact, you can't apply most of the aerodynamics in F1 to our cars simply because one factor: Open wheel. That has far more aerodynamic effect on a chassis than the rake angle EVER WILL.

Anytime anyone says "hey F1 cars do this, why aren't we doing it in our street cars" ala aero or brakes or whatever clearly has zero understanding of chassis dynamics. Formula 1 is all the vehicle dynamics pushed to the very limit of laws of physics. Comparing modern passenger cars to Formula 1 car is like comparing gliders to Gulf Stream jetliners. Sure, they both have wings. But they're vastly different in their propulsion method and technologies (okay, bad analogy, because when you distill down to the basics the propulsion method is the same between F1 and passenger cars, but the EXECUTION of the two is drastically different. Drastically).

Again. I ask you. Go out and measure the height behind the front wheel, to the height in front of the rear wheels. You'll see the natural "rake" on modern passenger car is far larger than the actual range of height adjustment a typical corner balancing will ever come close to exceeding.

And no offense. Seriously, you're arguing that adjusting perches for a few millimeters = 10mm of height difference? Have you actually seen how our front struts are designed? I'll grant you that a few turns of the collar on the rear springs may exceed a few millimeters, but again, go back and re-read what I posted. You're talking about 1/10th of an inch of ride height adjustment to achieve 50 lbs of difference in corner balancing.

Honestly, I know you mean well. And what you're trying to say actually MAY apply to Formula or open wheel race cars. But they do not apply to our cars. Not the way you think it does.

And I'll bet Adrian Newey will agree with me.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1