View Single Post
      06-11-2012, 12:00 AM   #27
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Yes, the shorter sidewall on the Star Specs I'm running makes for a harsher ride compared to stock sizes in a Sumitomo HTR III. Star Specs I'm running are 235/40/18 in the front and 265/35/18. (Note: Stock Contis with 15K miles were worse than the Star Specs though in terms of harshness, noise, and soaking up bumps).

A 245/275 setup will let you get a lot closer to stock. As with anything car related, there are compromises. I like the shorter sidewall, it's like a slightly higher final drive w/o paying for the diff. Turn in is sharper, more hydroplaning resistance (but PSS is a better wet tire than Star Specs, so that might be offset). Bumps are not soaked up as well. Folks 'round here have had little trouble running the 245/275 set-up on a stock suspension with the Star Specs, which run wide, and you can get really close to stock diameter that way. (Not sure if anyone has done this with stock setup and PSS--too tired to read through a bunch more threads.) Might be best for your neck of the woods.
Appreciate 0