12-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #95
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentric View Post
Bingo. Not a half-assed solution, just a logical one. If the car is still fun, why bitch?
Sure, it's not a bad effort, but there are some things of concern here:

The turbo engines are buggy as hell with the HPFP failures. And there isn't a fix for that yet.

Unless they've made some significant improvements heat soak and limp are going to ruin your fun if you take it to the track. I don't know that this is an issue (they may have addressed it), so it's a question mark for now.

I think what a lot of us are saying is that we don't find turbo engines to be as much of a thrill to drive as a high-strung high-revving engine. The 1M may be faster (heck, with my piggy my 335 was faster than either car I drive now) but the thing was just boring to me. The power delivery and drop off at revs just isn't "the joy of driving for me". Subjective? Hell yes! But it's what I've like about the fun BMW's I've driven: the S54 and S65. (And what I like about my friend's F355.) And if turbo o rama is the direction BMW is headed (and I'm sure it is) I'll have to find my fun elsewhere....I think a lot of others may do so as well.

I hadn't driven the Z4M in a couple of months and took it out today. Damn the way that thing winds up is just a hoot! And I like the extra 1K of revs vs. the flat-6 with 7K I've been driving lately. I found having them there a lot of fun--and hard to go back to the 7K limit when in the afternoon I jumped back in the other car. Again, like I said, subjective as hell but it's what I like....

That said, I like everything about the 1M effort except the engine. It's the right size, the right weight (way to go there BMW--kudos), and looks pretty damn good (and mean) as well. M-tuned suspension, etc. Nice. 6MT. Nice.

Last edited by Finnegan; 12-11-2010 at 10:43 PM..
Appreciate 0