Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Blabbing around in this thread too eh.
Still got a bad taste in your mouth from our last conversation?

What have you done in the last few weeks? Elevated your technical skills from 0,0% to.......0,0%?

Some interesting reading: look up the patents of the company who makes the m diffs. I started reading those and they are very very interestingd. The M diff, both versions, I knew they were made by an oem, not BMW or M gmbh, but I didnt know the OEM also held the intellectual property to those components.
Very interesting because they seem to hold a lot of the patents for both gerotor actuated lsd's and the shear style actuated ones. And they have a lot of different styles for that, they were really reseaching this type of diff in the mid/late 90's, looking at maybe 50 patents or so pump clutch actuation in diff/couplings.

Its a whole bunch of patents regarding pump actuated differentials with different priciples and all filed in roughly the period '97-'01

This for example is a finished one with a disk shear pump style to actuate and published dates from '98 (one of the technical drawings from the patent):

With a single shear channel

This one (issued late 99, published 2001) has a double shear channel:

I'd love to saw the diffs in halves to make some real life crossections. looking at what shear action is used internally on what diff
So yes, I have been reading. Interesting stuff because for lots of small technical details/subfeatures are als proprietary with their own patent. (Probably all very logical to patent lawyers). Thats what I've been up to.

Still following.....Einstein?
Don't worry, I don't miss you that much.
I had this thread opened from earlier as one of the references and went through it again before closing the tab, only to find irony in the post you made that contradicted what you were claiming in the other discussion.
Not so much a bad taste as it is entertaining to poke at discrepancies to know-it-alls and watch them defend themselves

You make a nice post with good information, but how does this confirm that the superseding PNs in 2002 FEB are indeed of a new design?

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 0