View Single Post
      08-02-2017, 08:30 PM   #50
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Blabbing around in this thread too eh.
Still got a bad taste in your mouth from our last conversation?

What have you done in the last few weeks? Elevated your technical skills from 0,0% to.......0,0%?

Some interesting reading: look up the patents of the company who makes the m diffs. I started reading those and they are very very interestingd. The M diff, both versions, I knew they were made by an oem, not BMW or M gmbh, but I didnt know the OEM also held the intellectual property to those components.
Very interesting because they seem to hold a lot of the patents for both gerotor actuated lsd's and the shear style actuated ones. And they have a lot of different styles for that, they were really reseaching this type of diff in the mid/late 90's, looking at maybe 50 patents or so pump clutch actuation in diff/couplings.

Its a whole bunch of patents regarding pump actuated differentials with different priciples and all filed in roughly the period '97-'01

This for example is a finished one with a disk shear pump style to actuate and published dates from '98 (one of the technical drawings from the patent):

With a single shear channel

This one (issued late 99, published 2001) has a double shear channel:

I'd love to saw the diffs in halves to make some real life crossections. looking at what shear action is used internally on what diff
So yes, I have been reading. Interesting stuff because for lots of small technical details/subfeatures are als proprietary with their own patent. (Probably all very logical to patent lawyers). Thats what I've been up to.

Still following.....Einstein?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 08-02-2017 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 0