03-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #8
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissArmy View Post
That sounds great. Do they leave "dents" in the bumper (being so strong, and all)
No but I'll take a video so you can see what I did. Stole the idea from dekaliber but basically...

1. Get a metal plate frame like this or make one with L brackets. If you buy the amazon one, spend a few extra bucks to replace the screws with stainless steel ones and rough the frame up with sandpaper and do 2 coats of spray paint to prevent rust.

2. Buy some rare earth magnets for both bumper and plate frame. Trick is to find the biggest diameter that will fit behind the bumper. I got mine from eBay. The ones that go on the plate frame will be smaller.

3. Apply double sided tape on magnets that will go behind bumper. Pop off kidney grills and stick magnets to bumper support bar.

4. Apply smaller magnet to plate frame and then cover the magnet with duct tape to prevent scratches.

You should read the write up though, it has good tips on how to drop the magnets for exact placement. I think I chose a strength of 25lbs... magnets stay put at triple digits but not impossible to remove neither.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 03-04-2017 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: Video recorded
Appreciate 1
SwissArmy140.50