03-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #35
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
Rick,
Another great thread! I enjoyed this one just as much as your other adventures. Do your write ups ever make it to Roundel?

Your threads have inspired me to go out on some road trips and shoot some pictures. Too often, we drive on thruways and miss out on the beauty found along the back roads. Hopefully, this summer my wife and I will be able to drive around the Fingerlakes region.

Keep up the great work!
Aries326,

Great--glad you enjoyed it. The next one is in the works...

Back in the early 1980s, when I had a 320i, I was very active in the BMWCCA. I even served as chief track instructor for the National Capital chapter for one season. Unfortunately, I keep forgetting to join up again! Your note will prompt me to do so. The Roundel is an excellent publication, and I would love to have an article published.

Regarding your plans for a road trip, I'll look forward to the results. The Finger Lakes area is great--particularly Watkins Glen, of course. During the grand prix years, all the drivers used to stay at the Glen Motor Inn, and this motel still has a lot of great photos of those days. For a really unique experience, you could try the Seneca Lodge. It's an old-fashioned "cabin" motel, with all sorts of interesting junk (uh, I mean "artifacts"!) in the main lodge.

Two final tips: Be sure to check out the International Motor Racing Research Center that's based in town. And to tour the State Park, take the inexpensive shuttle from the center of town up to the top, and then walk down through the Glen. It really beats the alternative...

Rick
Appreciate 0