RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
uh oh. You buy these used? The "white hair" is the material that serves to muffle sound. I see an insert on the right side there - does look like a silencer is installed. The "white hair" may be a feature of the silencer?
Yes, picked them up off eBay for $750 used for a 100 miles according to the seller. No scratches, swirls, looked pretty new. A friend confirmed that the white hair is the fiberglass used to muffle the sound and that within time those fibers will be gone and not seen as they'll be burned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar93 View Post
You do have the silencers in place. As Reborn mentioned you can see the silencer (which is an insert that effectively reduces the inside diameter of the large tip) in your picture, there's a slight gap at the top. Unscrew the fastener at the bottom and it should slide out.

As for the hair, I definitely don't have that in my RPi's or silencers. In fact, at a certain angle I can see daylight through the pipe as it's really just a resonator and not really a muffler. Perhaps take out the silencer and get a closer look at what it is.

I noticed the gap at the top after you mentioned it. I also noticed the driver's side has more "white hair" than the passenger, I'm guessing those fibers are burning faster.
2013 BMW S1000RR K46 R.I.P.
1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9L E36 SOLD
Appreciate 0