View Single Post
      04-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
nlink720
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 Roadster

Yes. You have to hit the tank from the bottom fairly hard. I used a 9" ratchet extension placed on the left side of the base (from underneath), hit it, then placed it on the right side of the base, and hit it again, and it came loose. There was an identical problem on E46fanatics.com where the guy circled the areas, and mentioned that he spent 25 minutes banging. The thing is that given the plastic nature of the components, it seems weird to put any force on anything, let alone whack at it. I'm not talking about full force hammering, but enough to knock the reservoir loose from the base.

Be careful when you reattach the reservoir to the base because you have to redo the snug fitment, but you want to be very careful not to damage the mounting bracket that lays flush with the radiator - it is very flimsy... so just be careful on re-installation.

Other than that, the job is very easy. Like a 2. I did a complete coolant flush, drained the engine block, replaced the drain plugs, inspected hoses, bled the system, and drove 100 miles with zero leaks whereas it was "weeping" before at the rate of about 2 ounces per day.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Good Luck.

FS: Leather Recaro Pole Position Seats & Hardware
Appreciate 0