///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimolaoha View Post
Thanks.
Another thread indicates that one member had some difficulty with a plastic rivet that may have connected the filter housing to some duct work or something. It's not in the video. Do you have any recollection of this, or know what he may have been talking about?
The video, of course, makes it look like a walk in the park, but anecdotal evidence from the forum indicates that SD Z4MR and many others may not agree.
Mike
My new filter came in last Tuesday. I replaced it a couple of days later and again it was a royal pain in the ass!

There is a pop rivet in the middle of the panel that goes through a tab that sticks down through a hole in the panel and folds over to line up with another hole in the panel. This is where the pop rivet goes. This is the kind of plastic rivet with the post in the middle. You pull the inner post out with your fingernails or with a pair of needle-nose pliers but the outside portion required prying with a small flat blade screwdriver. The sole purpose of the plastic tab and rivet appears to be just to support the middle of the panel. Once that was out and the two screws were out, my panel required pulling and twisting to get it to the point where I could push out the footwell light and get to the module that needs to be removed from the panel. As mentioned before, only the left screw needs to be removed and the right screw loosened slightly

The plastic piece that holds in the filter came off easy enough and of course you have to pull and tug at the filter to get it to come out. I only had a few leaf fragments and a big dessicated moth. Getting the filter in is a pain, you have to "pre-curve" it to get it to slide up into the filter cavity. The filter holder went back on relatively easily. I then re-attached the model.

Putting the panel back in place again required pushing, bending, and smacking it until it was roughly in place. I decided to put the screws back in first. This was a mistake. I just couldn't get the plastic tab lined up with the hole to put the pop rivet back in. After trying several times, I removed the screws and this allowed me to get the tab lined up with the hole and get the pop rivet back in place. Then I pushed on the panel until the screws lined up, got them screwed back in and I was done, almost an hour later.

On my wife's 335is Coupe, I can remove the 6-8 screws, pop off the cover, replace the filter, put the cover back on and screw in the 6-8 screws in 10 minutes max. I could probably do it in 5 minutes if someone was timing me.

Appreciate 0