View Single Post
      12-28-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
DreamTheater
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4

'03 Z4 Soft top not coming down all the way

Hey guys, I've been reading the forums for a while now but haven't yet posted until now. Sadly my first post is for a problem with my Z4

Here's the long story:

I drove my car in to work yesterday and the top went down properly without any problems and in the spot that I parked the car was sitting in the sun all day (In Australia it was a pretty hot day and the temp was around 37-41º celcius) and when I left work I went to put the top down and it went down most of the way but stopped about 3 inches from being fully down. I slightly raised it and tried again, gave it a bit of a push down and it made the normal(?) clunk and locked into place.. I didn't think too much of it at the time.

Anyway I went to drive to work today and it was doing the same thing but this time it wouldn't budge at all, it stays stuck about 3 inches from being fully closed. I made sure that the luggage compartment is in the down position and not up and moved it up/down with those "bbq knobs" a few times incase the switch was stuck or something. I checked the switch itself and i think it looks normal, no sign of anything missing or snapped but I'll have a further look when I get home this afternoon.

The motor sounds normal when the top is going down and when it gets to the stuck position the motor stops however if I press the switch again the motor makes noise but it doesn't move. I'm not sure if the motor could be the cause or not because it moves to this one position up & down no worries it's only at this spot it gives up, could it be the motor is slowly dying and has run out of "oomph!"?

Does anyone have any tips or ideas? I've been searching a few forums & google and the most common causes for soft top failure is that switch I mentioned earlier or the motor, but if anyones had this problem or heard of it before and knows exactly what causes it I'd love to know so I can try to fix it

TL;DR:

My soft top isn't going down all the way, it gets stuck about 90% of the way and won't budge after that.

Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers,
Graham
Appreciate 0