Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
The barrels of flow-formed ("rotary forged") wheels are much more dense than traditional cast wheels. This allows the manufacturer to reduce the amount of material used and make the wheel lighter while still achieving the same load rating (1600 lbs in this case). The barrel is fashioned using the same process as a fully forged wheel, but the rest of the wheel is cast to cut costs. You end up with a wheel that weighs within a pound or two of a forged wheel, yet only costs a little more than a gravity cast wheel.

Flow-formed wheels include the Apex ARC-8, Apex Aero-7, Advan RS/RZ, Forgestars, certain BBS wheels, and others.

IMHO, if I'm going to spend the money on a new set of wheels and take the time to have tires mounted and balanced, I would much rather shell out $200 more and realize a huge performance gain. Lightweight wheels make a big difference in the way the car responds to bumps/potholes mid-corner... not to mention the acceleration/braking benefits. When I put on my ARC-8's, it felt as if the car gained about 10 hp because of the 40 lb reduction in rotating mass the engine had to accelerate. The only downside other than the initial cost is a very minor reduction in ride quality, because the car will stay glued to the road.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0