View Single Post
      09-02-2014, 06:42 PM   #9
jeebus87
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 atacama yellow Z4 35i

Sorry for bumping an old post, but I just wanted to give you a huge "thank you" for this writeup. I've been having intermittent starting issues for the past couple months but could never replicate it at my indy's shop. So this week it was very persistent, engine would fire only after the 2nd or 3rd time turning the key. Took it to the dealer as they are in a very convenient location for me... diagnosed a bad starter ($170 for diagnosis) and they wanted $1300+ for the fix. No f-ing way I'm paying that much. My indy replaced the starter for $600 as I assumed the dealer knew what he was doing in placing the "bad starter" diagnosis. New starter goes in on friday, and everything seems to work fine, but then I get a couple starts this weekend where it takes 2-3 key turns to fire the engine. I start to get angry.

Fast forward through the weekend, and wouldn't ya know it, stranded in my garage on a tuesday morning when I'm supposed to go to a new clinic assignment (not cool). Engine won't fire no matter how many times I turned the key. Now I'm really pissed off. I wind up borrowing a good friend's car for the day. I get an ignition switch from the part's warehouse after letting the dealer know exactly how I felt, pop it in in 20 mins courtesy of this post, and sure enough car is working like a charm. Starts up every time like a champ. Lesson learned yet again!
Appreciate 0