05-26-2011, 10:02 PM   #24
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
Can you give me a ballpark of what's needed and what the costs are for piggyback or standalone for turbo application? I'm thinking V8 or V10 swap would be MORE expensive, no?

- Give me some namebrand ECUs to look into, that can possibly work with our MSS70
- I'm sure finding turbo hardware will be a piece of cake compared to everything else
- I know tuning costs will obviously not be very easy to estimate..
ECU cheap AEM $1500 / Motec $4500
Custom Patch Wiring Harness Figure $1500-2000
Tuning $1500-2000
+Misc Sensors, etc. $400-500

Of course the wiring can be eliminated if someone is capable with an electrical diagram and has know-how, and you may be able to snag a used ECU out there for cheap.

It's not that the MSS70 is harder to tune, it's that it's not as commonly used so most tuners would have to spend some time finding the proper maps / etc to change in the binary which takes some time, as well as buying the proper Check-sums, etc. I've had a few 1-2 friends in the industry tell me they could tune the ECU no problem, just I've never had the need or time to bring them the car. It's definitely not a "drop it off for 1-2 hours and I'll tune it" deal like a standalone, but it's also no the something that requires a team of Nasa engineers either.