Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkegto View Post
this is great info!

(snip) beat up with curb rash and some cracks in the barrels

Can we hear about the refurb?
It ended up costing me almost a grand to get the wheels refinished. The concave profile of the wheels was also too much for the machine they used to refinish so they had to do some extra work or something which raised the price .

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkegto View Post
ECS tech guy said 28mm is spot on. Surely one could use a couple washers if he is incorrect and 26mm is perfect ?

Apologies for bandwidth. Should I have machine shop chop off 2mm, look for 2 mm spacer (and if so please link), add washers or ?? Don't want 2mm of wheel wobble for my efforts.

Here's a twist: I just measured a factory stud and it's 2 inches overall. The factory says 26mm of that is threads. The Gorilla units are 2.3 inches. I wonder if BMW counts the conical space between the threads and the bolt top as the thread measurement whereas Gorilla (and everybody else) only counts the threads?
The bolts ECS has listed as factory replacement are 26mm. The threaded part is what you need to measure. If they are too long you run the risk of over penetrating the hub and hitting things behind them because the hub doesn't have a back to the hole, it just goes straight through. There is some wiggle room in that measurement, but not much. I did this by accident when I put on my new wheels with the Gorilla bolts. I bought 40mm bolts, but with the 10mm spacer I should have used 36mm bolts. We cut the front bolts to match the stock size, but in the rears over penetrated just enough to rub against the parking brake components.

Best bet in my opinion is get bolts that look the way you want and are too long. Take off a stock wheel and measure how far the stock bolt sticks out into where the hub would be, and then cut the new bolts to stick that far out from the new wheel. As long as the end of the threading from the new bolt that sticks out from the new wheel is the same length and the stock bolt from the stock wheel, you should be good.