01-30-2016, 09:09 AM   #58
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Remotely coding seems kinda scary to me. I wonder what would have happened if there was some kind of internet communications failure in the middle of writing the new code to the module. I'm not sure if the module can be bricked this way.
It would not affect writing to the module if the remote coder lost his connection. If the ECU updating process had been started, it would have completed even if the remote operator lost connection. The remote coder would have simply gone "blind" to what was taking place, but he could always re-connect and he would regain remote control of the computer. All of the processes he started would continue whether he was connected or not.

All files are local. All writing is done locally with local software. The local computer is writing the information from the local computer, not from the remote coder. The remote coder is simply remotely controlling the software application running on the local computer, not sending the information from his PC over the internet to the module. I agree that if the remote coder were using software on his PC to transmit the information to the ECU, that would be much too risky. This way, it's like the remote coder has really long arms and great eyesight, and he's doing all the programming with a PC attached directly to the car. Or another way to think of it, the remote coder could have simply told the OP exactly what keys to press on the laptop attached to the car, and taken the OP step by step through the process over the telephone, so the OP could carry out the operation, but this way is a lot easier.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0