View Single Post
      09-07-2015, 02:10 PM   #28
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

This is not a catfight, but it's probably pointless to argue if the guy doesnt even know what the nitride process is or does, and to what depth it goes.

As I said you can regrind everything, and a regrinder will put everyting in it's bench (I mean you pay him...), but when you go through that (very very thin) layer, the wear qualities completely diminish. So you only have about 0,4mm to play with. That is if the cam didn't require grinding after the initial nitriding (nitriding is a hot process, so there is always risk of distortion. Most parts go in oversize and are reworked slightly after nitriding to dial out the heat distortion)

Sure it can be done, but regrinding is a cheapskate process with unpredictable riscs. That's why it's hardly done in professional applications where money is less of an object. (with professional applications I mean industrial engines where the cam cost more than a complete car). Its almost exclusively done in the hobby tuner car market where 500 bucks is a 'good save'.

Its fine when your car only sits in the garage, but not if you want any miles out of it (especially at high revs, like on a track).
But hey, everyone can do to his car what he wants....
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 09-07-2015 at 02:36 PM..
Appreciate 0