07-09-2013, 10:51 AM   #81
nekky
Wagon life
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 328d M Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgwatson48 View Post
Thats too bad! Shouldnt it have been knocking pretty good with the broken bolts? Glad to hear its getting fixed!
It was knocking, yes. It was really hard to tell though to be honest. When it was cold, there was a bit of a consistent knock near the front of the valve cover. That went away within a few minutes, but it still sounded "unhealthy". I was assured the car would make it home, which it did.. barely

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
Ouch...that sucks. The car definelty ran louder than mine when they were side by side, but it was hard to tell if it was just the nature of the supercharger or another issue. Glad you caught what the issue was and fixing it back up though. Maybe get some Schrick cams while ur at it...
Yep.. it sounds like a diesel man. I've been thinking about cams, but the VANOS upgrade/fix is going to be a $2k job that wasn't included as part of the sale I'm hoping Karim will chime in and hook me up for cheap with those extra wheels he has for my troubles

Some Schricks would be nice, and the $1649 price point is attractive, but then that's just for the cams themselves. I'll need another $5-800 in followers and whatever else, plus labour, plus potentially a retune. It's a $3k job no matter which way you look at it. Maybe another time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
nekky, awesome attitude seriously!!! love that.... one of those things.... i think as these cars get on theirs a few essential maintenance items we need to look towards servicing, the rod shells, and the vanos particularly.... cant wait to see more of this car :-) it was one of the first vt2's along with mine and joes.....

good luck and keep us updated!!
Thanks, Beedub! Honestly, getting bent out of shape would do nothing to get the car fixed and quicker or any cheaper. The reason I'm spending the money on upgrading the whole system instead of just replacing the bolts and gaskets and bolting it back together is because I actually do plan on keeping this one. It's quite nice and aside from needing the front bumper resprayed, it shows very well. I want something that will keep me entertained, but primarily keep me from buying a P-car in the next year or two. A supercharged Z4MR fits the bill as far as I'm concerned. After this, it's house time (ok ok, we all know that really means "garage time").

I'll keep everyone posted and post up some pics once it's done. All parts were ordered last night. I just need someone to hook me up with a valve adjustment kit! I have ordered *everything* else except for that.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0