View Single Post
      11-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Sport

This post will catch everyone up to where I'm at now.

The clearcoat is FUBAR. Still has gret shine but it's what you would call a 10 footer LOL. Car looks great from 10 feet away but the pitting and scratches are too deep to buff out and even too deep to sand and buff. Many spots are all the way through to the base coat but I don't se any through to the primer. Also had some sub standard paint work work done to the RF fender, bad orange peel and fisheye. Car was re clear coated at some point in her life and there is dry spray in the jambs which I don't like. Looks like the PO also never washed bugs or birdchit off the car and there are several places the acids ate through the clear on the hood and trunk.

Autobody and paint. I've been painting cars for many years and love doing custom work.

This isn't going to be the average scuff it, mask it off and leave dry spray and overspray everywhere like most production shops that will do the bare minimum they can get away with.

I'm prepping the car for a possible color change, I really wasn't wanting another black or silver car but the price was too good to pass up and that is something I can change and black bases allow me to do some pretty cool stuff too. I still havn't decided exactly what I am going to paint yet but have a few ideas in my head... and that's a very dangerous place to be.

Autobody tip for today... Dental floss. Works great for removing emblems without damaging the emblem or paint. Cuts right through adhesive tape very quickly. This old package has been bouncing around in my toolbox for years. A little goes a long ways. (No that isn't the carbon fiber I'm using, that's an old office chair it sitting on.)

Bumpers, skirts, lights, weatherstripping, emblems etc are all off the car. I still have to take the doors apart.

Right now I'm leaning heavily to Lapis blue with an ocean blue pearl and really really like Kobalt Kandy with ocean blue pearl. Lapis would be easier to spray than the Kandy Kobalt. The Kandy is simply stunning if you've ever seen it in person.

Lapis blue with ocean blue kosmic sparks pearl.

Kobalt Kandy with ocean blue kosmic sparks pearl

Also seriously considering Kandy Brandywine with blushing red kosmic sparks pearl.

Last edited by pmmjarrett; 11-26-2012 at 08:44 PM..
Appreciate 0