View Single Post
      06-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #15
nate96
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: TI Silver 06 Z4 Coupe

Thanks for the compliments. I did the roof in spray can as a trial to see if I liked how the plasti dip turned out in a large area. I decided to leave it black for now. I made sure I had enough paint leftover to paint it if I decided to.

I really am not a fan of chrome and that is the reason I did not peal off the 3.0si on the fenders or the Z4 on the trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbstewart View Post
Fantastic, Nate! Thanks for sharing! It looks like you've done this before. Any "tips and tricks" for us first timers that are considering the same? Is it mostly a "spray everything and peal off where you don't want it" concept?
Mostly it is spray everything but there are a few things I did because I did not want overspray every where. I put some tape behind the fender and door to stop it from going where I could not wipe it off. I masked the edges inside the door. This is probably not required. The biggest pain was the hatch. Since the hatch goes down further than the body I propped it up on beer cans and masked off with plastic the entire trunk. If you look behind the antenna you can see the Coors . Other than that just take your time. Took me 3 hours to prep, 3 hours to spray and 2 hours to peel. I would also tape off the rubber around the window better. It did not peel as good as I thought it would. Peels off the body really well though. The biggest tip is to make sure you spray enough. Minimum of 5 coats total. It is easier to peel with more coats. As well youtube is your friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddish View Post
Would have to agree with Finnegan here, I think I'll end up mocking the Minty Green Z3 Shoe that lives just up the road from me here in Texas; before I do I'd like to know what it was like going through this firsthand. I've done wheels with plastidip but little else.

Your's came out great, seriously I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed seeing that transformation.
I am loving it. It is like asking the wife to put on a wig and outfit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZStig View Post
Came out really well, especially the finish.

Not as dark as Sepang, but not worth re-painting, thats for sure
I was going for the Sepang and was going to add some more black to darken it up but after the first coat I was really happy with the color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
Roughly what do all of the materials end up costing?
I bought a sprayer ($100-200 depending on the model). I used 2.5 gallons. It is about $90 a gallon or you can get it in bulk quantities. Then the coloring was $30. The plasti dip and coloring was $225 for the whole car.

Last edited by nate96; 06-15-2014 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0