06-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #25
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedNy View Post
After hearing that clip, I'm extremely interested in getting this set up, but I have two questions.... Do you think this would void the warranty and secondly would the parts be the same as well as the setup for the coupe ?
No difference between the coupe and roady. As far as the warranty goes, my guess is it would probably void some part of the warranty as far as BMW is concerned. The issue (I think) would be the removal of the secondary cats to make room for the muffler in the tunnel space. Even though the secondary cats do not have any sensors associated with them and in theory have no effect on the engine management system, many states prohibit their removal like CA. Altering any aspect of a car's factory installed pollution control device/system is an automatic fail.

Reading through the various threads, it appears that removal of the secondary cats makes no difference at the tail pipe and probably cleans up the exhaust gas flow somewhat. For those who can, I think it's a great mod for sound quality with the added benefits of low cost and a little weight savings.