-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible
Substantial horsepower improvements: no, wrong car/engine
Substantial handling and accelleration improvements: somewhat, bang for your buck it's hard to beat a limited slip dif and gears. Suspension has lots of options...
The hands down best option for being faster is learning how to drive well! Sign up for driver schools and learn to become "one with your car".
Yeppers ! Exactly what I was saying.

We don't have hard steel sleeved cylinder walls and are walls are an aluminum something or another so even with a crank are cylinder walls can't take the abuse.

Hence why I said gearing can take up a lot of slack. I've seen cars with less HP beat cars with more HP just with a better rear end.

The good thing about the N52 is its a light frigging motor, lightest in its class if I recon correct. And that alone will give you better turn in against others like the M where the engine is a steel and has way more load over the front wheels. With the correct suspension and drive train modifications then its very possible to have a car that will handle much better than an M car .... Infact it's their right out of the box but you can make it that much better. The M has you beat for power but you have weight and physics on your side. Though one of the surprising things is the speed difference between all three models are not all that big.

Your engine is the Camry of BMW engines but it will last and is pretty maintenance free. Which isn't a bad thing. I've seen both M's and regular Z4s pull very close times in auto crosses where it really comes down to the driver. Learn how to take your car to the limit and it will reward you just as much as any other.
Appreciate 0