Thread: New Z4 Owner
View Single Post
      11-15-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
tarheel91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ESS Z4 3.0i

New Z4 Owner

Saturday I flew up to NY and picked up a Sterling Gray 2003 Z4 3.0i with 56k miles. Found it on Ebay a couple weeks before and after lots of talking with the owner and some research of my own, I quickly pulled the trigger. It's not a normal 3.0i though. It's got an ESS Supercharger on it.

Total engine mods bring it up to 323 whp. It's also got a limited slip from the E46 M3, had the CDV removed, the sprint booster throttle mod, adjustable front camber plates and rear control arms, and EBC slotted and dimpled rotors and pads.

Needless to say, I had a ton of fun on the way home. The car is brilliant in straight lines and curves. The instant torque that comes with a positive displacement supercharger is impossible to put into words. Oh, and it also averaged 33 mpg over the whole trip.

Couple quick picks I snapped on my droid:

I had a couple quick questions for y'all:
-The throttle is pretty soft. This makes it a bit more difficult to drive the car smoothly (the larger injectors mean there's much less travel for "normal" amounts of gas), and it means I have to wait for the gas pedal to completely return before I can shift (otherwise the revs will soar as the transmission is disengaged but the engine's still getting some gas, especially if lifting off from full throttle). Is there any quick and cheap way to give the throttle more resistance for quicker return time and easier modulation, or am I looking at a pretty extensive modification?

-If I understand it right, the biggest difference between DSC and DTC is that DSC will activate if either wheel spins, whereas DTC will only activate if both wheels spin. The Z4M's don't have DTC because of their limited slip. I'm assuming DTC is equally useless for me. Is that indeed the case, or is there something else I'm missing?

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself. Y'all will probably be seeing me in various parts of the forum.
Appreciate 0