03-30-2011, 08:15 AM   #15
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragan View Post
also keep in mind that every track has a rescue vehicle that can drag your car out to a "normal" road near the track and you can call your insurance from there. I've personally seen this happen and it worked out fine .
That--intentionally misrepresenting and manufacturing facts related to the cause of the loss--is called insurance fraud, and you can most likely go to jail for that if it were to be proven depending on the laws in your state. Never mind the fact that it is outright lying and unethical.

As to the general discussion and what would and would not stand up in court regarding the clauses in the regular policies, the only way to find out is to go to court. Insurance companies have armies of lawyers who do this type of thing for a living, and are not as adverse to duking stuff out in a courtroom. Not to mention that it takes months or years to resolve such a case.

I say this not just based on common sense, but also on an experience a friend of mine went through with a major insurance company. There was some kind of a clause in his policy. He asked his agent. His agent said he was covered. He put it into the wall. The company denied coverage. He was smart enough to produce some kind of documentation that showed his agent had told him he was covered (I can't remember if it was a piece of paper or an audio recording of a conversation). He used that in court to ultimately win the case. But without that documentation, he doesn't think he would have won it. In other words, he thinks, based on the legal advice he got, that the clause in the policy would have most likely prevented him from winning.

This probably all depends on the specifics of your policy and state...

If one is doing lots of track events, one can consider an annual policy, which provides coverage for a certain number of events (as opposed to days) such as this one:

http://www.wsibinsurance.com/online/de.shtml

I purchased an annual policy from them for my E92 M3 (and fortunately never had to use it). I know of one person who was involved in an incident and was covered as stated in the policy without any issues. I was told that they have covered several GT3s that were totaled although I have no direct knowledge of those incidents. I am not in anyway affiliated with them. Just putting them out there as an option for people who want track coverage for whatever reason.