Not a New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both hands and both feet

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
I appreciate the pictures! I wonder how much effort the engineers put in to shaping the mufflers around cancelling certain frequencies. My inclination is that they added bends so the exhaust pipe has three passes through the muffler rather than just one.
i'm treating the acoustics as similar to any other chamber. negligible parallel interior surfaces and an unusually defined volume extinguish nearly all standing waves. the back-and-forth wrapping of the pipes acts as a transmission line, which effectively lengthens the fundimental frequency of the chamber. basically, it's there for two reasons... one: to fool the box into thinking it's bigger than it really is... and two: to mitigate any "outliers", noises, that the average listener might perceive as harsh. the batting also helps fool the apparent size of the muffler by cutting out much of the high frequencies, and allowing the low frequencies to come to the surface.

again, this is all based in what i THINK... so it'll be interesting to see what really happens.
#1498E86 | Sepang Bronze | Dark Sepang Leather | Carbon Leather Trim

Last edited by v3.2mc; 10-11-2012 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 0